She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Ant

Moments of quiet contemplation
A quiet place - alone
My thoughts are with me

As I sit and wrap myself in my thoughts
I become as one with the world
I love being in this place-
The Earth understands me
And I understand her
And she always reassures me that I have a place here

Introspective - is nice but
We are never really alone

I sense that my space is not all my own
I see the ant come blundering along
Is she lost, or on some mission?

My current state of enlightenment allows me to gain some perspective
I can almost see with my own eyes the chemical trail she puts down - to remind herself where she has been
Others will follow if she returns
Her mission a success

Her family has sent her forth to explore
Ten thousand identical sisters on similar missions await her return
A brooding Queen mother will know what to do
With the information she brings back
If she returns...

For I also perceive in this moment
That to her family she is expendable
Cruel thinking to a human - perhaps
But a strategy that works - for the ants

Should her journey end in tragedy
She will dutifully leave a chemical message
For any that may follow
I got Squashed! Danger! Go back!

As I contemplate her demise
My mind touches for a brief moment
All the times we humans have sent our children out into the world - as expendable
The great journey of Man
The Ancient migration
From Africa we came
Expendable

Yet we populated the Earth quite quickly
And discovered the ice caps - the deserts - the moon - even the bottom of the deepest ocean
And the prospect of "expendable" seems like a good strategy
For man as well as for ants

Yet we also send our children as expendable
To great conflicts
Fighting wars - over territory - over resources and over who's god is best to believe in
While All the Gods weep for the ignorance of their children

This Ant had parents
As did I
A C G T -
the genetic components of life
We have these in common as well

Both the ant and I represent the end of a chain of life
Chains that tie us together - back to the beginning
We even have a link in common back there somewhere

As these thoughts run through my mind
The Ant now scurries across my open hand
alarmed perhaps, by this sudden change in fortune

And as I head toward my back door
I think to myself
Expendable? - perhaps
But not this ant
Not this day
Not by me

So I open the door
Step outside
So that she may continue her mission
In a small way her mission is my mission
For She is my sister

Thank you mom

No comments: