She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Night Flight

Tropical depression
Gathers her winds and rains
Moves on to keep appointments
With the St Laurence
And the Grand Banks off Nova Scotia
Clear skies and sunshine
Move in

The Sun falls low
A barely discernable chill
Belies the stillness of the evening
And speaks to me
Of a North wind
Blowing high above
I can feel it from here

I am not alone
Down at the river
They feel it too


The high winds send
Thin wisps of cloud
Scurrying Southward
Painted with fading sunlight
Red pink orange yellow violet

As Darkness
Fills the deep places
Under brush and bush
I see the full moon
Lifting limb
Over the treetops

From the river
I hear their voices
Not the usual tenor
For this time of day

They carry an air
Of excitement bringing
Tonight the voices do not settle
Into the evening singing

Instead they escalate
And I feel a thrill
As I realize
What they debate

Night Flight

I settle back into my chair
Bracing flannel
Against a growing chill
In the expecting air

It is a good time
To be connected
It is a good time
To be

The voices from the river
Rise to a crescendo
Then fall to a quiet clamor

Moments later
I hear them above
I strain to catch a glimpse
Of a black wedge
Against indigo and moonlight
As they pass overhead

Canada Geese
Can sense North and South
In a blind fog at midnight

They know the stars
Can navigate by them
As ancient mariners did

They know the topography
And the landmarks
Can recognize them
By moonlight
From thousands of feet in the air

They know the weather
Can sense the shifting cells of air
Sense when to hunker down
And avoid storms and headwinds
To feed and for the journey south, prepare

And they know
When the time is right
To catch powerful tail winds
To speed their journey south
Even if it means flying at night

Some will make south Jersey
By daybreak
A good three hundred miles or more
From where the river sings to me



Candlelight
Comfort
I settle into my chair
Choice morsels slow cooking
Over hot coals
Good company

As the night progresses
More flights pass
Some right overhead
Some further away
My heart leaps
Just at the sound
And Dingo looks up at me
Knowingly

It is a good time
To be connected
It is a good time
To be




6 comments:

Miladysa said...

I feel connected to this one. Brilliant Poem :-D

Lydia said...

God I love this:
"Moments later
I hear them above
I strain to catch a glimpse
Of a black wedge
Against indigo and moonlight
As they pass overhead"

God I love all of this poem.
I also very much love Canada Geese.

Thanks for the glimpse.

Quiche said...

Fabulous! So much so, my compliment is horribly inadequate (:
Infinite blessings!

human being said...

what a picture you painted!
breathtaking... it really connects us to.... to... what we should be connected to... ane we are deprived of...

Honour said...

i really liked this poem, bobb. It's the mystic and magic in the science and nature that I like ... the words "night flight" just made all my senses become more alert - and I felt like I was part of something bigger.

Citizen of Earth said...

Too long have I been away
How time flys!

I will be around to visit you all soon

Miladysa

Thanks ever so much
I’m glad you feel connected
This is a special time of year for me
I feel even more connected than at any other season

***********************

Lydia

I too love Canada Geese
I love birds in general
Their calls go right through me
Straight to my heart
When I hear them in flight

This goes way back into my childhood
Even in the suburbs of NYC
The Geese are there
Discussing every little thing
During their brief visits

**************************

Quiche

Thank you!!
Your visit is more than enough complement
Welcome back

Thanks for the blessings as well!
They are much appreciated, and will be put to good use

May you be blessed as well

Human Being

I see you’ve moved
I’ll be catching up with you soon

Thanks for the kindness

This time of year
Here where I live
It seems so easy to be connected
And find a place
As a part of it all
With great sadness
I see that almost no one here is

My people are broken
I can only try
To heal them

****************************

Honour

I’m glad you like
Mystic, magic and science
Are never far
From my back door

Or anywhere
My feet can wander

Nature is everywhere
Towns and cities
Cannot isolate themselves

Night Flight
The words excite me too

Know that you are
A part of something bigger
On more than level
And in more than one way