She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Right Now

Human being
Has been
Recently reminiscing on Rumi...
And the power of love

Over the last few weeks
This has kept an old song
From my youth
Pleasantly running through my mind.

Turbulence aside

It was a simple time
Filled with simple ideas
Though you wouldn't know it
From the mysticism and hype
Instilled on it today

There was a poster on the wall
Outside my bedroom door
It read:




WAR IS*******************
************NOT HEALTHY
FOR CHILDREN************
AND
***OTHER LIVING THINGS

A billboard on Broadway
In New York City proclaimed:




******WAR IS OVER******
****If YOU want it to be****


The only difference between then
And today...

We really believed these ideas then
We need to believe in them once again, today
Let us start
Right Now

And the song in my mind
Doesn't keep me up at night

I still believe
Always have.




Get together

Love is but a song we sing
Fear; the way we die

You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry

Though the bird is on the wing
You may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother

Everybody get together
Try to love one another

Right now

Some may come and some may go
We will surely pass

When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last

We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass


Come on people now
Smile on your brother


Everybody get together
Try to love one another

Right now

If you hear this song I sing
You will understand

You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand

Just one key unlocks them both
Its there at your command

Come on people now
Smile on your brother

Everybody get together
Try to love one another

Right now

Come on people now
Smile on your brother

Everybody get together
Try to love one another


Right now

1967 The Youngbloods

12 comments:

human being said...

wow! talk about coincidence... quantum entanglement!
:)

i just wrote a comment on your previous post and talked about the Rumi poem... now i come to the main page and see this new post is up!

thanks a lot Bobbb for this post... the song really touches deep and Rumi's message is singing here, too...

i really feel so excited... since starting this Rumi project, i've experienced such beauuuuuuutiful things...

and found how friends can lift you up to the seventh sky, as Iranians say...

:D

i will link to this post too... soon...

namaste!

Shubhajit said...

Salvation comes through unity.

What a shame if I think about my freedom and forget the people who are crawling like ants on the face of this world...

Love is fearless, love can unite, and love is another name of care.

I appreciate the deep thoughts in your words...My heart suddenly beat faster when I see people like you spread the message of compassion and brotherhood...may be you teach your next generation the same thing and henceforth world is little better for people...

Thoughts are more powerful than action...a pure thought can change hundred thousands of people...

Lydia said...

"Pleasantly running through my mind." That perfectly describes how the song affects me still, hearkening back to the simple time you remind us that this truly was in so many ways. I always loved that poster outside your door (not that I ever saw that exact same one, but it was everywhere and a treat to see always).
I saw Jesse Colin Young at the old Univ. of Nevada, Reno, gym. A night to remember, and I have, and I will...

Deedee said...

So glad to have found you. We are kindreds, for sure! Jesse Colin Young is still a favorite of mine after all these years...

Ribbon said...

I love very much what you have written here....... so very honest.

best wishes
Ribbon x

Citizen of Earth said...

HB

Quantum entanglement indeed
But I am not surprised

I could have "you tubed" this
But I chose to let the words speak for themselves
Lest anyone be left out

As always - you may link any and all you wish

Shubhajit

I like your enthusiasm and very much appreciate your words
Do not worry for my account
I taught my children well
To walk the world with eyes wide open
They will not disappoint you
They make me proud everyday

There was a strong link between your culture and mine back then
I'm glad you can see that there was more too it than selling some posters and Tee shirts

Peace be with you my friend

Lydia

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who recalls how simple it was
How simple it can still be...

Deedee

Welcome to Zenspace
And thanks for the comment
I will surely be by to pay you a visit
Always on the lookout for kindreds

Ribbon

Thanks much for the kind words
You are always welcome

adee said...

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Get_Together/5809328

:)

adee said...

there is a saying that we all are actually one and when somebody realizes this, truly, they become that one 'brahman' - soul of the world.

Ribbon said...

Hi... thanks for your lovely words on my recent post :-)

best wishes
Ribbon

PS nice to know that you are not busy with watching television :-)

Roxanne said...

Interesting Bobbb... I've been reading a book on "War" by Gwynne Dyer, as research for my next novella ... and it has made me think about what drives people towards peace. This has been the longest period of time in World History when we have not HAD a worldwide conflict. It scares me and makes me wonder what we need to continue that ... power of love? I hope .... :)

Citizen of Earth said...

Adee

Thanks for the link - I hope everyone everywhere gets to enjoy hearing this song

Perhaps I am on my way to being the soul of the world
Perhaps I am only meant to spread the message
I sometimes feel the weight
Of her burdens
I sometimes glimpse the joy
In her hopes

I try to share
All that the tells me

Ribbon

You are most welcome
I grew up on television
Guess I've finally had enough...

Roxanne

I'm going to post on this...

Lynn said...

The "war is not healthy for children and other living things" is on a pendant necklace by my bed side...i've had it for years and years...How fitting it still is today.