She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shaken; Not Stirred

I went for a little ride today
Without even leaving my house
Without, in fact, even leaving my chair
Seated, as I was, in my office in Schenectady

Moments before, hundreds of miles away
Enormous pressure caused a shift in the rock
Along a crack of, as yet, undetermined size
Deep in the ground…

The shifting rock shook the Earth
Like ripples in a pond
The vibrations spread the news
Some along the surface
Some traveling deep into the Earth
Then reflected from within.

They reached me at different times
And so I was at first riding up and down
As if on a sine wave of varying intensity
Like a roller coaster

After a second or two of stillness
I was riding in a twisting way
Both back and forth and up and down
At the same time

I did not at first understand
That it was an earthquake
Until my girlfriend asked
“Did you feel it?”

It struck me like a flash
I called my daughter in Virginia
All was fine
I was free to reflect.

I remember now
Learning about the waves
Vibrations traveling through the Earth
P waves
S waves
And more

And the ancient geological record
From this part of the world
Telling a tale that goes all the way back to the beginning
The mountains here once so mighty
As to make the Himalayas
Appear as children

There have been other “rings of fire”
Once upon a time
More than once, in fact
And this old plate of rock
Still has a jolt or two left in it

So no in all
I was not really surprised
Just caught off guard

The Earth moves
And I move with it

As it should be

As I like it

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Oooh, this is great! Best of anything I have read or heard about that earthquake, which does not surprise me at all. :)

Citizen of Earth said...

Thank Lydia I'll be around shortly to catch up