She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Wednesday, November 07, 2012

The Day After

America wins, America loses
America drinks and goes home...

I stand today with all my friends and with all Americans.
This was a difficult, alienating election. It is over.
It is time now to remember that we have passed through this process not because we are enemies, but rather because we are citizens.
Because we are Americans.

As a democrat I share in a feeling of victory today.
But as an American I also share a sense of loss
Those who voted for the other candidates are my countrymen and women
It is my responsibility now to remember that compromise is equal to compassion when it comes to making America great.

As an American
I share in a sense of a larger victory.
The process works.
Win or lose, power transfers and is passed on through the will of the people
Amid much fanfare, but without violence or bloodshed
The will of the people
Imagine that...

And so
Government
Of the people
By the people
For the people
Still struggles with it's identity.
But it has not, as yet, perished from the face of this earth.

Not yet

2 comments:

Lydia said...

This is the best commentary I read following the election. Would that it could be read far and wide.......

Citizen of Earth said...

Thank you Lydia
As always, feel free to spread it around :)