She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Friday, September 20, 2013

Serious Moonlight

Silent silver Harvest Moonlight
Holds captive the hillside and all of the surrounding fields, forests and meadows
Only the boldest of stars dare to accompany her radiance
While down below gently sleeps the rolling countryside
Cobalt and cadmium, slate and white mist
Fading to black in the deep forest places

I used to lay awake on such nights
Just to watch my lover sleep in the moonlight
But such comfort is not to be mine
And she is not there, perhaps never was

Now the hillside is my lover, keeper of my heart
I gaze at her slumbering indifference
As she rolls and basks in the silver moon silk
Knowing with the confidence of stock and stone, leaf and limb
That she will always be there in the morning

But tonight
Tonight I ride with the last full moon of summer
Fading fast, still holding my little world
In her tender embrace for one more night of perfect stillness
While the owls keep watch and call out the passing hours

No comments: