She whispers my name... Only I can hear

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sunshine Sally

As near perfect as it gets...
Blue skies, warm days...

Fall foliage ablaze.
I love this time of year, bright colors all around me
Clean air surrounds me.
Harvesting, canning, cooking
Picking apples, gathering apples
Apple cider, apple pie, apple crisp, apple sauce.
The kitchen warms the whole house and everything smells wonderful.

In addition to all of this seasonal activity there is something else I get to do.
Something different, something special, something I really don't get to do very often...
I get to sally.
Not just in the broad sense of the word, but a full blown venture with much to gain and everything to lose.
Each day now, weather permitting, I sally forth into the woods with the pretense of locating dead and dying trees and to triage them for the purposes of stocking my woodshed. Some to be gathered now, some next year, and some to be left for the wildlife to utilize.

Not simply ventures, these are ad-ventures. The quest for firewood takes me to the remote places. Places I have long not been, have perhaps never been.
To where the young Fox play and carry on
Where the Deer come to birth their fawn
Where the Owls nest against the dawn.
Places where the Crows keep watch, where ancient farmhouse and fields fade
Where walls of stone slowly pass away.
To these places now I go as I ponder with purpose all that I see.
When the snow falls I will still, in these woods wander.
But for today I sally
I sally in the sunshine.

No comments: